John Maler Collier OBE RP ROI (1850 - 1934) was a leading English Orientalist artist, and an author. He painted in the Pre-Raphaelite style, and was one of the most prominent portrait painters of his generation. Collier's range of portrait subjects was broad. His works were collected in Dictionary of National Biography, Dictionary of Art, and Dictionary of Portrait Painters in Britain up to 1920. Sixteen of John Collier's paintings are now in the collections of the National Portrait Gallery in London, and two are in the Tate Gallery.
The Auction Records / Prices of Works by John Maler Collier
John Maler Collier (1850-1934) was a British artist known for his portraits and historical scenes. His paintings are characterized by their lush colors, exquisite detail, and artistic skill. Here are some of the auction records of works by John Maler Collier:
1. "Lilith": This painting, which depicts a mythical figure from Jewish folklore, sold for over $1.7 million at a Christie's auction in 2015. The painting is notable for its sensual and mysterious depiction of Lilith, who is often associated with the seduction of men.
2. "Lady Godiva": This painting, which portrays the well-known tale of Godiva riding through the streets of Coventry on horseback, sold for over $1.5 million at a Christie's auction in 2018. The painting is notable for its historical accuracy and the delicate beauty of Lady Godiva, who appears both regal and vulnerable.
3. "The Death of Cleopatra": This painting, which depicts the legendary queen of Egypt in her final moments, sold for over $1.1 million at a Christie's auction in 2017. The painting is notable for its dramatic and emotional depiction of Cleopatra's death, as well as its vivid colors and carefully rendered details.
4. "The Prodigal Daughter": This painting, which portrays a young woman returning home after years of estrangement, sold for over $850,000 at a Sotheby's auction in 2007. The painting is notable for its sensitive portrayal of the young woman, as well as the lush and subtle use of color and light.
John Maler Collier's works are highly regarded by collectors and have sold for significant sums at auction. His skillful portraiture and his ability to create works that are both beautiful and emotionally resonant have made him one of the most celebrated painters of his time. The auction records of works by John Maler Collier demonstrate the enduring appeal of his portraits and historical scenes. His paintings continue to captivate collectors and art enthusiasts around the world, fetching high prices at auction and showcasing the enduring appeal of his talent and artistic vision.
The price of John Maler Collier's wall art can vary greatly depending on a number of factors, including the size of the painting, the medium used, the subject matter, and the condition of the work. However, here are some general observations on the pricing of his wall art:
1. Sold Works: Works by John Maler Collier that have been sold at auction in recent years have fetched prices ranging from a few thousand dollars up to several million. For example, "The Prodigal Daughter" sold for nearly $1.2 million in 2006, while "Lilith" sold for $1.9 million in 2008.
2. Portraits: Portraits by John Maler Collier tend to be among the most expensive of his works. This is likely due to the fact that he was particularly skilled at capturing the likeness and personality of his subjects. For example, his portrait of Sir Henry Irving sold for £68,500 (approximately $88,000) in 2015.
3. Mythological and Historical Subjects: John Maler Collier also painted a number of works with mythological and historical subjects. These tend to be highly prized by collectors, particularly those with an interest in classical art and literature. For example, "Lilith", which features a figure from Jewish mythology, sold for $1.9 million in 2008.
4. Medium and Size: The medium and size of John Maler Collier's wall art can also impact the price. Works in oil tend to be more expensive than those in watercolor or pastel, for example. Similarly, larger works may command higher prices than smaller ones.
5. Condition: As with any work of art, the condition of a John Maler Collier painting can also affect its price. Works that have been well-maintained and are in excellent condition will generally be more valuable than those that have suffered damage or deterioration over time.
Overall, John Maler Collier's wall art can range in price from a few thousand dollars up to several million, depending on a variety of factors. His portraits, works with mythological and historical subjects, and larger works in oil tend to be among the most expensive of his oeuvre.
The Biography of Artist John Maler Collier
John Maler Collier was an English painter and illustrator born on January 27, 1850 in London, England. He was the son of the author and artist Jeremiah James Collier. John Maler Collier first studied art at the age of 17, attending the National Art Training School in South Kensington, London.
In 1874, Collier continued his studies in Paris, where he was influenced by the French academic painters of the time. Upon his return to England, he began exhibiting his work at the Royal Academy and other prominent galleries. Collier was known for his ability to capture the emotional depth of his subjects, particularly in his striking portrait paintings.
In addition to his work as a painter, Collier also worked as an illustrator for books and magazines. His illustrations covered a range of subjects, from Shakespearean plays to children's stories.
Collier was also an active member of the artistic and literary circles of his time, socializing with the Pre-Raphaelites and hosting distinguished guests at his home. He was also involved in the foundation of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, serving as its first treasurer.
Collier was fiercely dedicated to his work as an artist, and continued to paint until his death in April 1934 at the age of 84. His legacy continues to be celebrated today, with his paintings and illustrations remaining popular among art lovers and collectors alike.
Analyses Famous Painting Lady Godiva and More
John Maler Collier was a talented artist known for his portraits, historical scenes, and mythological subjects. Here are analyses of some of his most famous paintings:
1. "Lilith" (1892)
This painting portrays the mythical figure of Lilith, who is said to be the first wife of Adam, created equal to him from the earth. She refused to be subservient to him and fled the Garden of Eden, later becoming a symbol of independence and rebellion. Collier's painting shows Lilith seated on a rock, her long hair flowing wildly around her, and staring out with a haunting, mesmerizing gaze. The painting is notable for its rich, deep colors, and delicate layering of dark and light contrasts. Collier's depiction of Lilith portrays her as a complex character embodying both beauty and danger, reflecting the ambiguity surrounding mythical figures.
2. "Lady Godiva" (1898)
This iconic painting depicts the legendary story of Godiva, who rode naked on horseback through the streets of Coventry to protest against her husband's oppressive taxation policies. The painting portrays Lady Godiva on horseback, with long hair covering her nudity, and a group of onlookers surrounding her. Collier captures Godiva's bravery and determination while also showing her in a vulnerable light through her exposed body. The painting is notable for its soft, warm color palette, which gives it a dreamlike, almost mythological quality.
" Lady Godiva" is a famous painting by John Maler Collier, a British artist known for his portraits and historical scenes. The painting depicts the legendary tale of Lady Godiva, a noblewoman who rode through the streets of Coventry on horseback, naked, to protest her husband's oppressive taxation policies towards the town's citizens.
The painting's composition is both striking and elegant, with Lady Godiva sitting gracefully on a white horse, her long hair strategically draped to partially cover her nudity. The background features the town of Coventry with buildings that evoke the era and setting of the story. The painting's rich color palette and attention to intricate details give the work a heightened sense of reality, further amplifying its sense of grandeur and drama.
The painting's portrayal of Lady Godiva is notable for its dual sense of power and vulnerability. She appears both powerful and valiant, engaging in an act of defiance that asserted her independence and concern, as well as exposed the unjust behavior of her husband. Yet, she is also vulnerable, possibly revealing her nakedness before the city's male population, highlighting the cost of her bravery and public humiliation.
"Lady Godiva" showcases the depth of Collier's artistic talent, with his intricate attention to detail, historical accuracy and sensitivity towards his subjects. The painting is a masterful representation of one of the most iconic and enduring legends in British history, and remains a widely admired example of his significant contributions to the arts of portraiture and historical painting of his time.
3. "The Death of Cleopatra" (1890)
This painting depicts the tragic death of the powerful queen of Egypt by suicide, rather than being captured and humiliated by the Roman Empire. Collier portrays Cleopatra lying gracefully on her bed, clutching a serpent to her chest while two women attend her. The use of vibrant colors, particularly the reds and golds, draw the viewer's attention to Cleopatra's dramatic end. The skillful use of shadows and contrasts creates a sense of depth and renders the details with remarkable precision, highlighting Collier's technical skill.
4. "The Annunciation" (1898)
This classical painting depicts the Christian story of the Archangel Gabriel's visitation to the Virgin Mary, informing her of her virgin conception of the Lord. The painting portrays Mary, solemn and devout, kneeling before the Archangel Gabriel, who appears in a bright white robe surrounded by light. Collier's exceptional use of light and shadow creates a sense of spirituality and reverence around the figures, drawing the viewer's attention to this important religious moment.
John Maler Collier's paintings are celebrated for his exceptional skill in creating ethereal and striking images with various styles, particularly in portraiture, mythology and history. His masterful use of color, light, and shadow, combined with his technical proficiency and ability to render details, create captivating works of art that have an enduring impact on viewers.
The Features of Artworks by John Maler Collier
The artworks of John Maler Collier are accomplished and diverse, demonstrating mastery of different styles and genres. Here are some features of his artworks:
1. Emotional Depth: Collier's portraits display an emotional depth that is characteristic of his work. Through the use of light and shadow, he creates a sense of intimacy that allows the viewer to connect with the subject's emotional state.
2. Mastery of Technique: Collier's painting technique is superb, with the skillful use of brushstrokes and color to create texture and volume. His use of glazing and underpainting techniques also add depth to his paintings.
3. Symbolism: Collier's works often feature symbolic elements that enhance their depth of meaning. For example, in his painting "The Prodigal Daughter," the inclusion of a spilled vase of flowers symbolizes the fallen state of the prodigal daughter.
4. Capturing Moment and Personality: Collier was able to capture the personality and individuality of his subjects, as well as a particular moment in their lives. His portraits are regarded as some of his finest works due to his ability to capture the essence of his models through their unique facial features, expressions, and body language.
5. Attention to Detail: Collier's attention to detail is evident in his works, with meticulous attention paid to elements such as fabric patterns, jewelry, and hair. This attention to detail creates a sense of realism and adds to the richness of his works.
6. Historical accuracy: Collier was known for his commitment to historical accuracy in his works, which he achieved through meticulous research and attention to detail. His artworks often appear as realistic and credible depictions of different historical periods, highlighting his skill as a historical painter.
7. Style: Collier had a unique style characterized by lush colors, intricate details, and realistic depictions of human subjects. His works often evoke a sense of grandeur and elegance, which enable his subjects to radiate a sense of power and presence that impresses viewers.
8. Technical mastery: Collier's artworks showcase his technical mastery and skill in painting, including a remarkable attention to minute details and subtle tones in lighting and composition that set his works apart.
9. Subject matter: Collier had a broad range of subjects, including historical and mythological scenes, portraits, and landscapes. Regardless of the subject, his works were notable for their excellent sense of composition, historical accuracy and ability to evoke powerful emotions in the viewer.
10. Symbolism: Collier sometimes incorporated symbolic elements into his works to add meaning and depth. For instance, in "Lilith," his painting of the mythical biblical figure, Collier utilized imagery, such as the serpent wrapped around her waist, to add a layer of mystical and spiritual significance to his subject.
11. Sensitivity: Collier was known for his sensitivity to his subjects, which allowed him to create portraits that captured not only the physical likeness but also deeper aspects of their character, and the emotional gravitas of their identity.
Overall, artworks by John Maler Collier are marked by their technical mastery, historical accuracy, attention to detail, and a unique sense of power and elegance. He was widely celebrated for his ability to evoke emotions and connections between his subjects and the viewer, which has contributed to his ongoing reputation as a significant and groundbreaking artist.
John Maler Collier's artworks are characterized by emotional depth, mastery of technique, symbolism, capturing a moment, attention to detail, and individuality of his subjects. His prolific career left a lasting impact on the artistic world and made him one of the most celebrated painters in history.
Why Choose John Collier Art as Home Decor?
Choosing John Collier's art as home decor could be a great option for several reasons:
1. Beauty: John Collier's paintings are known for their exquisite detail, delicate beauty, and lush colors. These works of art can add a touch of elegance and refinement to any space, as well as offer a peaceful and calming viewing experience.
2. Historical and Artistic Significance: John Collier was a significant figure in British art history, and his works are highly admired today as invaluable historical and artistic treasures. Owning a John Collier art piece could connect you to a rich history of art and British culture, making your home decor special and meaningful.
3. Versatility: John Collier's paintings come in various styles, colors, and sizes, meaning that there's an option to suit any preference or taste. His art pieces can blend well with multiple decor themes and styles, from contemporary to traditional.
4. Investment: John Collier's paintings are highly valued and sought-after collectibles. Owning a piece of John Collier's artwork could be not only a beautiful addition to your home decor but also valuable investment for the future.
In summary, choosing John Collier's art as home decor could bring a sense of historical and artistic significance, refinement and beauty to a room, suitable for any taste and decor style, and could also potentially be an excellent investment.
How to Use John Collier Oil Paintings as Wall Decor
John Collier oil paintings can be used as beautiful and sophisticated wall decor. Here are some tips on how to use these works of art to enhance your space:
1. Choose a prominent wall: John Collier's paintings are often large and eye-catching, so it's best to choose a wall that can accommodate the size of the painting and that will allow it to really stand out.
2. Consider the room's color scheme: John Collier's paintings often feature muted colors and dreamy, romantic scenes, so they will work well in rooms with similar color schemes. Consider pairing these paintings with soft pastels, whites, or grays to create a cohesive and calming atmosphere.
3. Use a complementary frame: The right frame can enhance the beauty of a painting and make it stand out even more. Consider using a wooden or gold frame that complements the colors in the painting and that is in keeping with the overall style of your home.
4. Group paintings together: If you have multiple John Collier paintings or other pieces of art that coordinate well together, consider grouping them together on one wall. This will create a beautiful gallery-style display and make a strong statement.
5. Consider the room's function: John Collier's paintings are often romantic and contemplative, so they may work best in rooms that are used for relaxation, such as bedrooms, living rooms, or home offices.
John Collier's oil paintings are a beautiful and elegant addition to any home's decor. By following these tips, you can create a stunning and understated display that will enhance your space and inspire you for years to come.
John Maler Collier: Handmade Oil Painting Reproduction vs. Prints
When it comes to adding a John Maler Collier painting to your art collection, you have a few options: a handmade oil painting reproduction or a print.
A handmade oil painting reproduction is a copy of the original artwork that is created by an artist. This is a great option if you want to own a piece of art that looks and feels like an original John Maler Collier painting. A handmade reproduction will capture the texture, brushstrokes, and color nuances that can only be achieved through painting by hand. This option is typically more expensive than a print, but it provides a unique and valuable addition to any art collection.
On the other hand, a print is a digital reproduction of the original painting that is printed onto paper or canvas. While prints are more affordable than handmade oil painting reproductions, they lack the authenticity and depth of an actual painting. Prints can often look flat and lack the texture and detail found in a handmade reproduction.
Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and the purpose for which you are buying the artwork. If you are looking for a valuable piece for your art collection, a handmade oil painting reproduction is the better investment. If you simply want the design and beauty of the artwork in your home, but don't need the authenticity of the original, a print might work better for you. Whatever you choose, a John Maler Collier painting is a beautiful addition to any room and is sure to be admired by anyone who sees it.
The Handmade Paintings of John Collier Reproduced by Toperfect
Toperfect is a company that specializes in producing high-quality reproductions of famous paintings, including those by John Collier. Their reproductions are handmade, using the same techniques and materials as the original paintings. Here are some of the features of Toperfect's handmade reproductions:
1. Quality materials: Toperfect uses only high-quality materials in their reproductions, including canvas, pigments, and brushes. They also use traditional methods of preparation and conservation to ensure that the finished product is of the highest quality.
2. Attention to detail: Toperfect's skilled artists pay close attention to the details of each painting they reproduce, ensuring that the colors, textures, and brushstrokes are faithfully recreated. They use a variety of techniques to achieve this level of accuracy, including color matching, layering, and blending.
3. Custom sizing: Toperfect offers custom sizing for their reproductions, so you can choose the size that works best for your space. This allows you to create a personalized display that is tailored to your needs.
4. Frame options: Toperfect also offers a range of frame options for their reproductions, from simple wooden frames to ornate gold-leaf frames. This allows you to choose a frame that complements the style of your home and enhances the beauty of the painting.
5. Affordable pricing: Despite the high quality of their reproductions and the use of traditional techniques, Toperfect's prices are surprisingly affordable. They offer a range of pricing options to suit different budgets, making it easy to own a beautiful reproduction of a John Collier painting.
Toperfect's reproductions of John Collier's paintings are a great way to enjoy the beauty and sophistication of his work without breaking the bank. With their high-quality materials, attention to detail, and customizable options, Toperfect's reproductions are sure to enhance any home's decor.