Arthur Wardle, 1860–1949, was an English painter, aged just sixteen had a piece displayed at the Royal Academy. He is considered equally proficient artist in oils art, watercolours and pastels and was elected to the Pastel Society in 1911 and became a member of the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours in 1922. Arthur Wardle paintings continue to be sought after and widely reproduced on postcards, calendars and boxes of chocolates. He remains one of the widely known dog painters of the 19th and 20th Centuries, particularly known for his paintings of terriers. -- The Copyright of Scripts is Reserved by Toperfect.
The Auction Records / Prices of Works by Arthur Wardle
Arthur Wardle's paintings have been sold at various auctions, achieving different prices depending on the painting's size, subject matter, condition, and other factors. Here are some notable auction records of works by Arthur Wardle:
1. "Over the Stile" - This oil on canvas painting depicts two terriers in a rural landscape, and was sold at Sotheby's London in November 2009 for £52,450 ($85,824 USD).
2. "The Intruders" - This oil on canvas painting depicts two wolves in a snowy landscape, and was sold at Christie's New York in May 2004 for $37,000 USD.
3. "A Hare and Two Dogs" - This oil on canvas painting shows two dogs chasing a hare in a forest, and was sold at Bonhams London in December 2006 for £28,800 ($56,360 USD).
4. "Strap Stuck" - This humorous watercolor painting depicts a dog with a stuck leather collar, and was sold at Christie's London in January 2003 for £20,315 ($34,000 USD).
These auction records show the popularity and value of Arthur Wardle's artwork, particularly his depictions of dogs and other animals.
The Biography of Artist Arthur Wardle
Arthur Wardle (1860 – 1949) was a British artist known for his animal paintings, particularly of dogs and horses. He was born in London and showed an early aptitude for art, studying at the Bloomsbury School of Art from the age of 16. He also attended the Royal Academy Schools, where he received a prestigious scholarship to study in Paris.
Wardle's early career was spent as an illustrator, working for various publications including the Illustrated London News and The Graphic. His first major commission was a series of dog portraits for The Kennel Club, which helped to establish his reputation in the art world.
Throughout his career, Wardle exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy, the Royal Society of British Artists, and other prestigious art institutions. His animal paintings were well-received, and he became known for his ability to capture the personalities of his canine and equine subjects.
Wardle was a prolific artist, producing a large body of work over his career that included paintings, drawings, and illustrations. He was a member of the Royal Society of British Artists and was awarded the title of Associate of the Royal Academy in 1894.
Wardle's works can be found in prestigious institutions, including the Victoria and Albert Museum and National Gallery in London, and in private collections worldwide. Today, he is considered one of the foremost animal painters of his time, and his pieces are admired for their technical skill, accuracy, and emotional depth.
Analyses Famous Paintings by Arthur Wardle
Arthur Wardle is best known for his animal paintings, particularly his depictions of dogs and horses. Here are some analyses of his famous artworks:
1. "Terrier Puppies in a Basket" - This painting depicts a basket full of puppies, all with different expressions and personalities. The painting is notable for its attention to detail, particularly in the fine fur of the puppies. Wardle captures the playful nature of the puppies and their youthful innocence. The basket of puppies is a familiar subject in animal paintings, but Wardle's depiction is particularly charming and appealing.
2. "The Gypsy Encampment" - This painting portrays a scene of a gypsy encampment with a group of horses in the foreground. The horses are rendered with a great level of detail, from the subtle variations in their coat colors to the shadows on their muscles. The painting captures the natural beauty of the horses and the evocative setting of the gypsy encampment. Wardle's use of light and shadow captures the crispness of the evening air and the gypsy lifestyle.
3. "The Barge Horses of England" - This painting portrays a scene of four horses pulling a barge along a canal. The horses are depicted in motion, with their muscles tensed and rippling in the effort of the pull. The painting captures the sense of strength and industry of the barge horses of England. Wardle's attention to detail and realistic color palette capture the beauty and power of these working animals.
4. "The Alert Watchful Greyhound" - This painting depicts a greyhound standing alertly in a field, with his master's gun visible in the background. The painting captures the elegance and grace of the greyhound breed, and the dog's watchful demeanor suggests an intelligence beyond its animal nature. Wardle's use of contrast between the light and dark areas of the painting creates a sense of depth and texture, bringing the greyhound's form to life.
Overall, Wardle's animal paintings demonstrate a remarkable level of technical skill and attention to detail. His paintings capture the beauty, grace, and strength of animals in a way that is both realistic and evocative.
The Features of Artworks by Arthur Wardle
The artworks of Arthur Wardle are generally characterized by the following features:
1. Realism: Wardle's paintings are known for their realistic depictions of animals, particularly dogs and horses. He paid close attention to detail, capturing the anatomy, texture, and movement of his animal subjects with accuracy.
2. Use of Light and Shadow: Wardle was skilled in using light and shadow to create a sense of depth and dimensionality in his paintings. His use of chiaroscuro, an Italian technique of contrasting light and dark, helps to create a three-dimensional effect in his paintings.
3. Capturing Personality: Wardle was skilled at capturing the personality of his animal subjects, particularly dogs. His portraits often show dogs with expressions and body language that suggest their unique personalities.
4. Emotional Depth: Wardle's paintings often convey a sense of emotion or mood, whether it be the affection bond between a human and a dog, the intensity of a horse race, or the relaxed demeanor of animals in their natural habitat. His attention to detail extends beyond the physical features of his subjects to their emotional ones.
5. Technical Skill: Wardle's paintings are admired for their technical skill, which is evident in the precision of his brushwork, color harmonies, and composition.
Overall, Wardle's works are celebrated for their technical skill, realism, and ability to capture the personality and emotion of animals. His ability to depict the natural world with accuracy combined with his deep love for animals, has made his pieces timeless classics, appreciated by many generations of art lovers.
Why Choose Arthur Wardle Art as Home Decor?
Choosing Arthur Wardle's artwork as home decor has several benefits. Here are some reasons why:
1. Beauty and Elegance: Wardle's paintings are highly detailed and portrayed with incredible skill, making them aesthetically pleasing and impressive to look at. His animal pictures in particular can bring an elegant touch of nature and the outdoors inside your home decor.
2. Emotional Appeal: Wardle's paintings often capture the essence of the animal's personality, adding an emotional depth to his artwork. They can add layers of character and intrigue to your decor, making your space more interesting and meaningful.
3. Versatility: Wardle's paintings can be adapted to suit any interior decor, from rustic traditional to modern minimalist, to create a cohesive look. The natural elements of his artworks have a range of natural colors, making them easy to match up with furniture and other interior design textiles.
4. Educational Value: Wardle's artwork can be educational and informative pieces of art, especially for children who love animals. The paintings can be used to teach children about different types of animals, their unique features and personalities, and the role they play in the natural world.
5. Investment Value: Wardle's pieces are highly valued by collectors around the world, and their value has been known to appreciate over time, making them a potential investment for the future.
Overall, Arthur Wardle's paintings add a natural touch, providing both beauty and emotional depth to your home decor. They offer versatility, educational value, and investment potential that make them attractive choices for any art lover.
How to Use Arthur Wardle Oil Paintings as Wall Decor
Arthur Wardle's oil paintings feature a variety of wildlife scenes that can add a touch of nature and beauty to your home or office space. Here are some tips for incorporating these paintings into your interior design:
1. Choose the Right Space: Consider the style and color scheme of your room when selecting which painting to display. For instance, a large, colorful painting of a lion might be best suited for a bold and vibrant space, while a more subdued painting of a bird or deer can create a calming effect in a more neutral room.
2. Frame the Painting: Once you've chosen which painting to display, consider investing in a high-quality frame. A well-chosen frame can not only protect the artwork from damage but also enhance its beauty and fit more seamlessly into the overall decor of your space.
3. Hang the Painting: When hanging the painting, consider the lighting in your room. Wardle's works rely on light and shadow to create depth and texture, so make sure the painting is hung in a spot that will allow its colors and details to be fully appreciated.
4. Accessorize the Space: Using a Wardle painting as wall decor can also inspire a whole room's design. Consider incorporating other natural elements, such as plants or natural textiles, to create a cohesive and stylish space that plays off the artwork.
By choosing the right painting, framing it properly, paying attention to lighting, and accessorizing the space, you can transform a blank wall into a stunning display of art and nature with Arthur Wardle's oil paintings.
Arthur Wardle: Handmade Oil Painting Reproduction vs. Prints
When it comes to Arthur Wardle's artwork, there are two main options to choose from: handmade oil painting reproductions or prints. While both options have their benefits, they differ in several key aspects:
1. Quality: Handmade oil painting reproductions are created by skilled artists who work to replicate the original piece as closely as possible. As a result, they offer a higher level of quality and detail than prints, which are created through a mechanical printing process.
2. Authenticity: Handmade oil painting reproductions are considered the more authentic option since they are created by artists who are replicating the original piece by hand. Prints, on the other hand, are mass-produced and do not offer the same level of authenticity.
3. Value: Handmade oil painting reproductions are often more valuable than prints, as they are one-of-a-kind and take more time and skill to create. Additionally, they may appreciate in value over time.
4. Cost: Handmade oil painting reproductions can be more expensive than prints, as they require more time and skill to create. Prints, however, offer a more affordable option for those who want to enjoy Wardle's artwork without breaking the bank.
5. Aesthetic: Handmade oil painting reproductions have a different aesthetic appeal than prints, as they have a more textured and layered quality. This can add depth and interest to a room's decor, whereas prints may look more flat and two-dimensional.
In summary, when it comes to Arthur Wardle's artwork, handmade oil painting reproductions offer a higher level of quality, authenticity, and value than prints. While they may be more expensive, they can add a unique and visually stunning element to a room's decor. Prints are a more affordable option, but don't offer the same level of aesthetic and monetary value. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on individual preferences and budget.
The Paintings of Arthur Wardle Reproduced by Toperfect
Toperfect is a reputable vendor of hand-painted oil painting reproductions. They offer a wide range of oil painting reproductions of Arthur Wardle's paintings, created by skilled artists who have a deep appreciation for his work.
Toperfect's reproductions capture the essence of Wardle's paintings, from the realistic depictions of animals to the emotional depth and technical skill. Their artists work hard to replicate Wardle's original pieces as closely as possible, capturing each brushstroke and color nuance.
Toperfect's oil painting reproductions of Wardle's paintings are highly appreciated by art lovers worldwide. The quality of their work is evident in the attention to detail and skillful brushwork.
Their reproductions are created using high-quality oil paints and canvases, ensuring that the paintings will last for generations to come. They offer a variety of sizes and framing options, so you can choose the perfect painting to suit your decor.
Overall, Toperfect is a trusted and highly respected vendor of hand-painted oil painting reproductions of Arthur Wardle's artwork. Their reproductions offer a high level of quality and authenticity, making them a great investment for art lovers and collectors alike.
16 Arthur Wardle Paintings for Sale. Satisfaction Guaranteed 100%!