Arthur John Elsley, 1860-1952, was an English oil painter of the late Victorian and Edwardian periods, famous for his idyllic genre scenes of playful children and their pets. He achieved great popularity during his life and much of his art appeared in calendars, magazines and books. Currently Arthur John Elsley paintings can be seen at the Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum in Bournemouth,at Lady Lever Art Gallery in Port Sunlight, Liverpool, Royal Liverpool Children’s Hospital and the "Royal Pavilion Art Gallery and Museum", Brighton. -- The Copyright of Scripts is Reserved by Toperfect.
The Auction Records of Works by Arthur John Elsley
Arthur John Elsley was an English painter known for his beautiful works of children and animals, frequently portraying them in idyllic countryside landscapes. Here are some of the auction records for his works:
1. "Tired Out" (1902) – Sold for £48,000 in 2019
"Tired Out" is an oil painting showing three puppies resting, one of which is sitting on a cushion. It offers a serene scene promoting relaxation and sleeping, both elements which are central to keeping healthy pets.
2. "Fair Exchange is no Robbery" (1893) – Sold for £33,800 in 2019
"Fair Exchange is no Robbery" is an oil painting portraying two young girls trading their burden, which is firewood, for some fruit offered by a boy in the garden. This painting is a perfect realization of joyful and free-spirited childhood, with young girls radiating innocence and happiness.
In conclusion, Arthur John Elsley remains a beloved artist among art enthusiasts and animal lovers alike. The prices his paintings command reflect the timeless beauty, emotional associations, and quality of his works, and indicate that there is a strong demand for his pieces. His paintings are a valuable investment and a beautiful addition to any home decor, offering endless charm, beauty, and warmth for generations to come.
The Biography of Artist Arthur John Elsley
Arthur John Elsley (1860-1952) was an English painter known for his paintings of children and animals. He was born in London and studied at the Royal Academy, where he won a gold medal for his painting while still a student.
Elsley's earliest works depicted horses and their riders, which he exhibited at the Royal Academy. He became more widely known, however, for his paintings of children and their pets, which became very popular during the early 20th century. His work often featured young girls in frilly dresses and their dogs or other animals in idyllic settings. Elsley used his own daughters and pets as models for many of his paintings.
Elsley's paintings became so popular that he was able to make a living entirely from his art. His work was widely reproduced on calendars, postcards, and other merchandise, making him one of the most commercially successful artists of his time.
Elsley also participated in several group exhibitions, most notably at the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours, which he joined in 1897. He was later elected as a full member of the Royal Society of British Artists.
Elsley continued to paint and exhibit throughout his life, even after his popularity had begun to wane. He died in 1952, at the age of 92. Despite the decline in popularity of his work after his death, his paintings continue to be collected and appreciated by art enthusiasts today.
Analyses Famous Paintings by Arthur John Elsley
Arthur John Elsley is known for his nostalgic and sentimental paintings of children and animals. Here are some examples of his famous paintings and their analyses:
1. "Solitude": This painting depicts a young girl sitting in a garden with her dog, looking dreamily into the distance. The painting is characterized by Elsley's attention to detail, particularly in the girl's dress and the flowers in the garden. The posture of the girl and the dog convey a sense of peaceful solitude, which is amplified by the soft, muted colors of the painting.
2. "Who Said Bow-Wow": This painting depicts a group of children teasing their pet dog, who is wagging his tail in delight. The painting is notable for Elsley's skill in capturing the children's expressions and the joy of the moment. The painting conveys a sense of innocence and playfulness.
3. "Fair Weather Friends": This painting shows two young girls and their puppies sitting on a garden bench, enjoying a sunny day. The painting is notable for its bright, cheerful colors and the cozy, idyllic setting. The puppies add an element of playfulness to the scene.
4. "The Cat and Kittens": This painting depicts a mother cat with her kittens lined up in front of her. The painting is notable for Elsley's attention to detail, particularly in the fur of the cats and the texture of the background. The painting conveys a sense of maternal warmth and tenderness.
5. "A Little Bit of Fluff": This painting depicts a young girl holding a fluffy white rabbit. The painting is notable for the contrast between the girl's bright red dress and the white fur of the rabbit. Elsley uses soft, subtle brushstrokes to create a dreamy, ethereal mood.
In summary, Arthur John Elsley's paintings are characterized by their attention to detail, warm colors, and sentimental themes. His depictions of children and animals usually convey a sense of innocence, playfulness, and nostalgia, which continue to captivate viewers today.
The Features of Artworks by Arthur John Elsley
Arthur John Elsley, a prolific painter of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, was known for his stunningly beautiful works of children and animals. Here are some features that can be observed in many of his paintings:
1. Children: Elsley's paintings often feature children, capturing their playful innocence, joy, and curiosity. The artist depicted children engaged in outdoor activities, such as playing with animals, exploring, or enjoying the countryside, evoking a sense of nostalgia, happiness, and freedom.
2. Animals: Elsley was passionate about animals, often portraying them in his paintings. Particularly, dogs, cats, and horses appeared frequently, with the artist capturing their movements, expressions, and intricate details with great care and attention.
3. Idyllic Landscapes: Elsley's paintings usually depict idyllic, natural landscapes with rolling green hills, deep blue skies, and vibrant foliage, offering an escape from the bustling, urbanized world. These scenes create a sense of tranquility, calmness, and beauty, forging a bond between viewer and nature.
4. Attention to Detail: Elsley's paintings demonstrate a remarkable attention to detail, capturing the texture of animals' fur, the folds of clothing, the shades of light, and the different elements of the surroundings with precision and skill.
5. Sentimentalism: Elsley's paintings often evoke an emotional response from viewers, promoting feelings of warmth, love, and sentimentality. His paintings usually depict relationships between children, animals, and sometimes adults, emphasizing the joy, beauty, and love that can be found in simple moments.
In conclusion, Elsley's artworks remain popular due to their timeless beauty, emotional associations, and artistic merit. His paintings capture the essence of childhood and the beauty of nature and animals, creating a rich sense of grace and tranquility. The attention to detail indicates the artist's mastery of the craft, and the sentimentalism promoted makes his works even more relatable and treasured by viewers. Overall, the features of Elsley's paintings make them a beautiful addition to any art collection, reflecting beauty, elegance, and a sense of nostalgia for an era gone by.
Why Choose Arthur John Elsley Art as Home Decor?
Arthur John Elsley's art is an excellent choice for home decor. Here are some reasons why:
1. Emotional Connection: Elsley's paintings capture the essence of childhood and domestic animals, creating an emotional connection between the viewer and the subject of the painting. His art pieces promote a sense of nostalgia, innocence, and warmth that bring positive vibes to the home.
2. Timeless Beauty: Elsley's paintings are timeless, lasting through ages and inspiring generation after generation with their beauty, purity, and naturalism. His artworks create a sense of tranquility and peacefulness, instilling a feeling of calmness in the home.
3. Classic Style: Elsley's paintings feature a classic style that suits any interior decor. They have a traditional quality but manage to blend well with modern interior design trends, making them a versatile and valuable addition to any room.
4. Mastery of Color: Elsley's paintings exhibit masterful use of color, blending harmonic hues and tones, creating a visually captivating image. His works often portray lush green landscapes and colorful floral arrangements, evoking a sense of natural beauty, vitality, and freshness.
5. Investment: Elsley's works are highly valued, making them a valuable investment for any home decor enthusiast. The values of his paintings have increased over the years, making them an excellent choice for those who wish to own a work of art that will appreciate in value.
In conclusion, Arthur John Elsley's art is an excellent choice for home decor. His paintings connect with viewers on an emotional level, evoking a sense of warmth, calmness, and nostalgia. His mastery of color, timeless beauty, and classic style blend seamlessly with any interior design, and they are a valuable investment for art collectors. His art pieces elevate the quality of any space they adorn and are a perfect addition to add style, refinement, and sophistication to the home.
How to Use Arthur John Elsley Oil Paintings as Wall Decor
Arthur John Elsley's oil paintings of children and animals are known for their whimsical and sentimental themes. Here are some tips on how to use his paintings as wall decor:
1. Matching the Painting with Your Room Decor: Choose an Arthur John Elsley that matches the colors and style of your room interior. You can also consider matching the painting theme with the purpose of the room, for example, a painting of children and puppies in a nursery room or a playroom.
2. Choose the Size of Painting that Suits the Wall: Consider the wall size and location where you want to hang the painting. A larger painting can be a focal point of a wall while a smaller painting can be an addition to complement other artworks.
3. Frame the Painting with the Right Frame: As Arthur John Elsley's paintings often has sentimental themes, use frames designed in a contemporary yet elegant style. Go for a frame that complements the painting's style and colors. A simple wooden frame would suit the traditional style of the painting.
4. Use Lighting to Enhance the Painting: Use ambient or accent lighting to bring focus to the painting. Proper lighting can enhance the colors and suits the mood of the painting.
5. Group Paintings for a Greater Impact: if you have multiple paintings by Arthur John Elsley, you can create a themed gallery display. Group paintings that have similar colors or themes together on a wall, using various sizes and frames.
Arthur John Elsley: Handmade Oil Painting Reproduction vs. Prints
Arthur John Elsley's oil paintings are a reflection of his artistic talent and his unique style. However, when it comes to decorating your home, you're left with the decision to choose between the two options, a handmade oil painting reproduction or a print of these works of art. Here are some of the differences and benefits of both options:
Handmade Oil Painting Reproduction:
- A handmade oil painting reproduction is a replica of the original painting created by a trained artist.
- Each painting is unique, as the artist replicates the brushstrokes, texture, and color tones of the original artwork.
- Provides a closer experience of viewing the artwork, as it captures the mood, depth, and textures of the painting's surface.
- The oil paintings may add a unique touch of elegance to your home decor.
- The handmade oil painting reproductions have a more authentic and invested value compared to prints.
- Reproduced through a mechanically or digitally printed method, making prints less expensive.
- Prints can be mass-produced, making it easier to find popular art prints in a range of shops.
- Allows people on a budget to at least enjoy the reproduction of the artworks, even though the qualities cannot be compared to original paintings or handmade reproductions.
In conclusion, handmade oil painting reproductions and prints both have their unique advantages when it comes to decorating your home. If you appreciate art and its authenticity, the personalized experience of owning a handmade oil painting reproduction is the best choice. However, if you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, you could choose to purchase prints instead.
The Paintings of Arthur John Elsley Reproduced by Toperfect
Arthur John Elsley's paintings of children and animals have been reproduced by Toperfect, a leading company in the reproduction of oil paintings. Toperfect has a team of talented artists who are able to recreate the original paintings with great attention to detail, texture, and color.
Some of the Arthur John Elsley paintings that have been reproduced by Toperfect include "The Favorite", "The Mischief Maker", "Good Companions", and "Gossip". These paintings capture the innocence, playfulness, and charm of children and their animal companions, and have been popular since the early 20th century.
Toperfect reproduces the paintings on high-quality canvas using archival inks and pigments, ensuring that the colors remain vibrant and true to the original over time. The paintings can also be customized to suit individual preferences, including the size, the type of frame and the finish.
By reproducing Arthur John Elsley's paintings, Toperfect enables art enthusiasts to enjoy these charming and sentimental works of art at an affordable price. As the reproduction is done by hand with great care, each painting is a one-of-a-kind piece of art that can be enjoyed for years to come.
18 Arthur John Elsley Paintings for Sale. Satisfaction Guaranteed 100%!